Advisory Committee Member Profile
Areas of Expertise
Developing and operating over 5 different businesses and a stellar rolodex.
Michael Edgar is an urban development consultant. Over 30-years, he's been the catalyst for attractive economic opportunities in the Greater Chicago Region. He brings together local businesses, municipalities, and foreign companies to assemble new businesses and facilitate financing to build and to redevelop communities.
Michael is an architect with a Masters of Architecture from University of Houston, & a Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Southern California.
He works towards expanding the local economy through a lifecycle approach. His vision reaches beyond the design of a building into a holistic understanding of the tenants and residents. Since the early 2000s, Michael has focused on practical economic development.
1. Partners with municipal governments, investors, and landholders. Creates joint-venture between parties to ignite projects.
2. As founder and President of GWDC, he shapes concepts and preparing projects to be appealing to the ideal types of investors and development. GWDC, is a 501c(3) not for profit economic development corporation and founded in 2012 to foster economic development in challenged communities.
3. Guides developers through the pragmatic choices around traditional, non-traditional, Small Business Administration, and hard money loans. Introduces EB5-international investors and developers to projects that make sense.
4. Attracts commercial and residential tenants to new developments. Connects businesses with ethical capital through not-for-profit micro-lenders.
5. Maintains a business incubator to prepare businesses to participate in the larger part of the Midwest market. Mentors organizations in evaluating business risks and developing joint ventures with local and foreign entities.
6. Provides investors and economic development organizations with community tours for a "touch it and see it" experience.
Lastly, as president and founder of Design Studio C, Ltd. (www.designstudio-c.com), Michael has led the development of over 1,200 projects throughout the greater Chicago area including southern Wisconsin.
As the design lead for DSC, he provides design consultation services and handles business development. He also offers development consulting to his clients as they evaluate real estate and business opportunities. He believes that the most sustainable project is the one that uses resources wisely, from both an environmental and financial standpoint.